[Novalug] Fwd: [HacDC:BOD] call for 3D printers

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Sun Mar 22 14:48:46 EDT 2020

I've been following Prusa since they announced a few weeks back they
were changing their whole production line to printing these face masks.
Unfortunately, there are 3 parts to the mask, and only one of them is 3D
printed. The elastic band and the plastic shield (called plexy glass by
Prusa) have to be sourced externally, and lots of people in the US are
having issues finding the right plastic shields. The rubber band most
likely can be sourced from anything, but you'll have to adjust the model
unless you can find one with holes in it.

I'm  seeing some attempts to pull together and have a single
manufacturer produce a lot of those non-printable parts and I'm awaiting
those results before committing.

It's worth noting, that Prusa Printers are a European company and hence
the standard holes they use are what A4 papers in Europe uses. Meaning
any office has a hole punch that matches the needed holes you need to
create to mount the shield. Not so much in the states since we use 3
holes spaced very differently.  I doubt a lot of us have the adjustable
hole punches that's needed for this either.  So instead it looks like we
need an adjusted US model that fits our standard paper size, holes etc.
vs. the European ones.
I'm definitely seeing work being done here - so watch out for the models
posted by US 3D printer people - they'll most likely offer adjustments
needed to make sourcing the rest of the materials easier to get here in
the states.

On 3/22/20 2:08 PM, Kevin Cole via Novalug wrote:
> There may be similar efforts being coordinated in your neck of the woods...

Regards
  Peter Larsen