[Novalug] HP vs Brother printers use with Linux

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Sun Jun 28 15:43:07 EDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 5:32 PM, Jay Hart via Novalug
<novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
> If you had to rate which printer brand works better with Linux
> (Fedora and Centos), what would it be?

They're about equal.  When I'm looking at printers, I'm more interested
in the feature set -- number of trays, duplexing, color, pages per
toner cartridge, pennies per page, and physical footprint.  For home
and home office deployment, I tend to go with Brother.  They're a bit
cheaper than HPs, and the Brother printers I've owned have lasted a
long time.  The desk I have at home has a little nook with a slide-out
shelf that fits the brother printer perfectly.

For real offices, I tend to go with HP.  Their higher end printers tend
to have better feature sets more suited to office environments, and are
more durable.

Either way, definitely go laser.  It'll last much longer and the ink
doesn't dry out.

When you get a short list of possible printers, read reviews from the
mainstream press like PCMag.com, and online retailers.  Some models are
just lemons, period.

jf
--
John Franklin