[Novalug] Keyboard support for tilde ~ character

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Tue Aug 25 21:43:12 EDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 05:39:06PM -0400, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
> Ohhh - a quick followup. Back in the DOS days ALT GR and the numeric
> keyboard could be used to enter ASCII codes and get the corresponding
> ASCII character typed out. It was a great way when your keyboard didn't
> have the specific character you wanted.
>
> With UNI-Code things changed and it took me forever to realize it'd just
> moved to another keyboard combination. CTRL-SHIFT-U followed by 4 digits
> gives you the character of that unicode. There's a ton of them - the
> tilde ~ is 007E. So worst case is that you have to type this instead of
> hitting the tilde character.
>
> In GNOME there's an app called Characters that gives you every character
> and their unicode - careful you may waste lots of hours if you go there.

Thanks for the pointer, I just "wasted 30 min"  ��

On my Fedora 32 system the program is "gnome-characters".

Also, CTRL-SHIFT-U took 1-5 digits.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)