[Novalug] WOW - great article on "deprecation" decease ...

Aaron M. Ucko amu@alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 17 18:28:23 EDT 2020

Peter Larsen via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> writes:

> From a very experienced programmer talking about what happens when APIs
> and systems keep changing. Talks about what systems you should include
> into your solutions if each part has a very short shelf-life. He uses a
> bit harsh language, but it's written very well, easy to understand even
> without having a full understanding of all the technologies he mentions.

Excellent points indeed.  The sentiment reminds me a bit of the classic
(and uncharacteristically printable) rant

    https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

which I suppose stands to reason in light of Steve's examples of tools
that heavily value stability -- Jamie was the lead developer for Lucid
Emacs (a fork that grew into XEmacs) and subsequently for several
Netscape and early Mozilla products before leaving the industry.

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu