[Novalug] OT: old white men blabbing

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Sun Aug 16 13:19:37 EDT 2020

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020, Dan Arico via Novalug wrote:

>> If the group wants a concrete thing it could do right now, I'd
>> start by adding a Code of Conduct to the group. Link it right
>> to the home page, announce it at the start of meet-ups, and
>> make sure it provides a way to privately report any
>> violations. And then look around to meet-ups that don't have
>> these issues and see what steps they've taken.
>
> So in the interests of openness, you want us to set up a
> uniform code that everyone has to conform to and back it up
> with an anonymous snitch line? sounds self-defeating to me.

 	Even apart from that, another presumption bothers me:
that it's incumbent on a group to conform to a new arrival, any
group to any new (known or unknown) arrival. That's not how human
beings usually behave; I'm not clear why they should -- nor
whether they could, every time.

 	There are a whole lot of unstated assumptions behind the
suggestion, certainly including some which I can't even guess,
and possibly some self-defeating ones. Nor am I at all sure
they're relevant to Linux or FOSS.

--
Beartooth Bookworm, Contemplative Curmudgeon (Retired)
Work is for people who can't hunt (or read till all hours).