[Novalug] Thunderbird

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Fri Jun 28 16:36:49 EDT 2019

I'm only going to pluck out two things to comment on here.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 12:46:59PM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman via Novalug wrote:
> There are so many things wrong with using a web-app for email
> that I have trouble getting a coherent sentence out.

It is a worst practice to read email with a web browser.  And certainly
for anyone in professional system/network administration it's irresponsible
and unprofessional.

> >added another unneeded layer. Why would you want to run a mail server
> >without a MX record (24/7)?
>
> To avoid centralized DNS?

You will find it increasingly difficult to get mail accepted if you
do not have a proper MX record for the originating domain.  ("proper"
includes things like "does not point to RFC 1918 space".)  If you're
willing to live with those difficulties, fine: go for it.  But it's a
self-inflicted problem whose consequences are going to steadily increase.

---rsk