[Novalug] SMALL word processor? (was libreoffice failed...)

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Wed Jun 27 13:16:31 EDT 2018

On 06/27/2018 11:56 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>     What's more, afaict, if you install only writer and what that brings
> with it, you will find as you update Fedora that you gradually get more
> and more of the packages you can't imagine ever using. I've tried
> abiword. Can anyone comment on still other word-processors? Minimal
> ones?? (I don't use one once a year; but my wife does. If I can find one
> friendly to me, she's willing to try it, since I'm the nearest thing we
> have to tech support.)

Good point about alternatives and getting a multi-tool when all you need
is a screw-driver. That said, I often find learning a single complex
toolset easier than a lot of "simple" tool-sets, so while I may only
need a hammer for one particular job, I know the multi-tool and how to
use the hammer in there, vs. some other model hammer that's only a hammer.

As to the number of packages increasing - that happens for a lot more
than just libreoffice. In the life of a packager, you sometimes make
mistakes or lessons learned, and realize you may need to split a package
up into smaller pieces, or to fit upstream changes into a new structure.
What it DOES NOT mean is that you add more features - it's just "the way
the cookie crumbles".

So if you JUST need a simple word processor, go for Abiword :)

--
Regards
  Peter Larsen