[Novalug] Linux and Novallug

jerry w jerrywone@gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 02:43:10 EDT 2017

Going off thread, a bit...

One of the reasons I've not been as active includes
the personalities involved
And questioning my sanity on my posts, wasn't received well given more
formal clinical training than the sender. More published perhaps too, but
no evidence of that here... (
Got to look up Thinderbird, autoreplace is evil in jargon making nonsense
of stuff by s/slang/dictionary word/g...)

Jim's Custom Capitalization as emphasis I'm used to, others may parse it as
yelling, me just think about special meanings and cliché/idioms...

I'm for separation of host from novalug leadership duties, as gives some
others a chance for opinions that may differ.
Technical people sometimes like arguing/ranting on details, which are
important to machines, software and ways of thinking to get them to work,
but failed ungracefully with most wetware.

Splitting into multiple people for coverage/load balancing may help but
coordinating and whom to contact, given the two are not well known, yet,
may be an issue, long term.

Sadly,
I'm not fond of the retirement package here, if Charlie's example is the
precedent.  For many, but not all, it is now hobby and the good old days,
senior/elder /disabled SIG/bof, whatever.  There were always many
professionals, and we could try catching up and understanding, but many
enterprise level talks were for work only...  I tried being both funny and
ask missing info questions, Greg handled my almost sniper like interaction
style with grace and ease.  Looking forward to his life as comedian, new
Linux, art genre,  remix, Greg2.0, etc...

Pulling possible topics from the email list also was a pastime/challenge.

History wise,
I go back as far as Chantilly (yoyodyne? ;-)  meetings, pickup trucks,
SUVs, etc w hardware (pallet extras, it seemed) and books brought/hauled
out, excursions to Buffalo Billiards, Anita's?, Cici's, etc (+/-
millwaulkie (sp?) custard for me) after, Oracle, Palinteir (sp?), NL one
and two, (...all I can remember at the moment, and palenteir (sp?) was slow
coming back to me. The kitchen access was very nice, but spoiled us
somewhat, imnsho)
Reston library filling in a few times.

Installfests at libraries in Tyson's, Reston and West Alexandria and mostly
annual Tux.org tabling at FOSE with DC, UM, and others, penguin polo type
shirts required, either thinkgeek or some home grown.

My biggest regret/annoyance is spending 10+ years with dc on editing
dclug.tux.org meeting topics and putting up links to slides, etc in emacs,
botching it badly (especially tables in tables nested so far as
indecerqble, even for someone who use parentheses (car(cdr)), but having
nothing to show as gwyn went down, and all seems lost, so no, dc gave a
talk I went to, see this link/site. With video sizes, I never really backed
up, text only might have fit, but thought ethereal admins (a kabal?) had it
covered, and never became one either, despite prodding/nudges, someone else
in the field always (o.k., usually) had opinions that made me feel it would
be a waste of their and my time, or risk security of others...  Plus, the
next day I was off onto something else, likely non technical, if bicycling
back or renting a car didn't clear my mind and maybe no video or slides to
remember, after some sleep.  The technology of that has changed: ( YouTube
limits, Picasa, photos, hangout, etc)...
Plus special invites to things Google, some now deprecated, social before
plus, called?  Senior moments, though name recall likely programmed out of
me...

Reconstructing dc or even nova data from my personal machines of the past,
so many and are not bootable (much less remembering circa ~rh6 forward
passwords ), and disk media types (zip100?), formats, hardware some
pata/parallel, not sata, etc...

Might be a good history lesson, to do a timeline, yep yellowdog, attempts w
so many distros, Live, tacking media players on the front of CDRs,DVDs for
presentations and holiday year in review photo video cds, many the first
others saw Linux booting, if I got it to boot, bios settings, etc) but I
don't want to be on camera or in front of large groups, many smart ass
comments/replies I don't even hear, when en masse and juggling i/o channels

Disclaimers:
While hunt and peck on smartphone/tablet thru wifi most of the time, so
fairly terse compared to a full keyboard.  No, it may not parse, but
consider the receiver side is flawed too... ianal