[Novalug] Switching Branches in GIT

Kevin Cole dc.loco@gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:19:53 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:17 AM, James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug
<novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> I wonder whether it could just detect whether a file *is* binary and
> not even try diff it. Perhaps we need a .gitbin file, which is formatted
> like .gitignore, declaring various globs and regexps as binary.

Not EXACTLY what you seek, but have a gander at:

https://git-scm.com/docs/gitattributes

Among other things, I have occasionally (rarely) used .gitattributes
together with exif (mentioned in the man page above) to track PNGs,
JPEGs and their ilk.