[Novalug] Used laptop guide

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Sun May 28 07:43:42 EDT 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 02:51:08PM -0400, John Franklin via Novalug wrote:
> Lenovo got clever with the keyboard [...]

Two things:

First, you can use xmodmap - "the program so good you only have to run
it once" - to remap the keys.  I do, which is why anybody I hand my laptop
to can't do anything with it. ;)  But it lets me get rid of junk I don't
need, like tabs and caps lock, in favor of things I do need, like a
handy escape key and tilde.

Of course that won't fix all the the issues you describe, and it also
won't fix a mechanically/ergonomically bad keyboard.  This brings me
to my second point, which is that one of the reasons I still use my
Lenovo 3000 C100 -- and would like to find another one in good shape --
is the keyboard.  I really like the ergonomics.  Unfortunately, among
the many search criteria for laptops, there doesn't seem to be one
called "find one with a keyboard as close to this one as possible". ;)

---rsk