[Novalug] If I were Redhat

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 12:00:39 EST 2017

[ I'm not including prior discussion here ]

Frankly, the links provided make my case.
And I'm not sure how it could be viewed
otherwise.  While there are certainly some
comparisons in the ways (you) stated, I see more
with Red Hat in my proposition, and also with
google.

for example (wiki):
Canonical as positioning itself as demand for services
related to free software rose.[13] This strategy has been
compared to Red Hat's business strategies in the 1990s

Let's remember that Microsoft has purchased many
businesses  and while on the surface the companies
disappear, we often don't know how Microsoft
incorporates the technologies.  A slightly more  transparent
situation is google.     I think Android still has much
potential - and it's worth a look at the history, and
the upcoming attempts at competition in other
related  variations, including IoT.

The financial funding is explained well enough
in the articles (you) posted.  Perhaps it was updated
from your last reading.  Somehow, the idea of not
making money too early  seems to have escaped
the notion of a "startup". Some startups take 10 years.
That is rare in the "computer" industry though...
( do you sense a wee concession here ???  please note !! )
Making  marketing ( determining  the future ), strategy,
and timing keeping history in mind,
but not overrelying on it.

I think there are many more casual -  in my experience,
not so much professional uses ( contrast to users )
-- more users of Ubuntu than  may be evident to some.
(This I will not justify... you can do your own
research.. !!!)

I am somewhat curious that replies I received rebutted
every point I made, and then some, and didn't
agree with any.  Nor examined  some alternative
situation.  I thought I indicated an open position
on looking at other points of view with phrases
such as "I agree ...."  .  I've played "devils advocate"
with friends on occasion, but I'm not sure of the
motivation here.  In one respect, I've learned some things
doing that.

But otherwise, - not to be too much a smartass - it feels
like I'm in a discussion with a Trump supporter....
( just to lighten the mood a bit ).

Originally, I was thinking about - what is the future
of technology, but also the role linux will play, as I
really enjoy the prospect of open source IP working
for society.  I also  think the society is at a
crossroads for a number of reasons:  and I will stick
my nose out and ask 2 related specific questions questions:

I see desktops and laptops, as being more like toasters.
But still have design and build challenges for technical
expertise and addons.    However, I can also see
racks and racks ( blades ?) of large circuits made
from dozens of 4 core ( or more )   phone-like
subcircuits  ( all on one PCB and each would be-- mechanically--
half the size of a phone screen ;you don't need screens etc... )
iff Intel doesn't get their ass moving  - but I like the underdog..
as they haven't been so Microsoft cozy and a barrier
to linux... ( yes, they have ! )).  ( again, something ( you ) can research if
really interested...)

I can also see a phone used in a cradle, with a regular keyboard
attached and a separate  large screen. Add touch. Add a folding or rollup
screen.   Make it look like a folded Commodore 64 keyboard as the
whole computer with flexible pull-out screen.  or a virtual screen in
the air  (holo style ) .  All running various linux flavors.

As usual, I digress.

Walt ....

--
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )