[Novalug] Cooked Pi Audio?

Stephan Greene ks1g04@gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:49:27 EST 2017

Or maybe it's just having the computer equivalent of a-fib.  I picked up a
Pi Zero this week and have been playing with it for a lightweight audio
application using the Volumio music player (which is a champ on a Pi3 with
or without the RPi 7" screen).  The Zero is sadly lacking in outputs, so
I've been playing with combinations of USB hubs and HDMI adaptors with
sound output to get it working.  It's slow, but works and appears
promising.  I ordered an Audio DAC hat to provide a more usable output.  In
anticipation of it's arrival, I soldered a GPIO header.

Everything was working, but now the Zero is just putting out crackling
sounds (via HDMI audio).  No other music or tones.  Hopefully it is a
software problem, as reimaging the microSD card is easy (although reloading
music is SLOW).  I'm hoping I didn't damage some traces or otherwise mess
it up (I do have decent soldering tools, think I did a decent job, and hope
the magnifiers made sure I caught any cold joints or bridges.  Also it did
work initially, I think a fubar'd solder job would show up instantly.  Then
again, my soldering is one reason I went to crimp connectors for my ham
shack's power and antenna feedlines!

Has anyone been using Pi Zero audio and encountered something similar?
Pimoroni has a header that requires NO soldering, I may give it a try.

More broadly, anyone else messing with RPi's for audio or for radio
reception (using SDR dongles)?

Steve