[Novalug] 32 and 64 bit CPU's and support

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 09:53:59 EDT 2016

Can I assume that most people are able to do
a McDonalds wifi type of connect with their
smartphone/android and able to  tether to their
laptop/netbook/another android ???  ( assuming
netbook has no wifi..   but who the heck does this anyway ??)

I like the Droidx, but maybe I need a slightly newer
droid.

As to your other Q: the CentOS desktop has a wifi,
but it's not working.   It's software.    The Win 7 has no wifi.
future ?

I've milked this Droidx pretty good.  I carry it around, as previously
stated just as a video/camera, and as portable file D/L er.
PS: the breakme web site said the OS was too old to root.
DOH !!!

The following is mostly clarification.

The Droidx  ( and I don't know anything  yet about android
OS's later than 2.3.4 )  is what Ive been using to play with.

I've spent a few weeks now,  messing around, and occassionally
find yet another semi-hidden menu thingy that it can do.

That  said,  It's easy to tether USB , and transfer files both
ways to both Win7 and linux. The "networking" is pretty good
in that the file managers work well for data transfer over tether.

I can also enable wifi, and see sites, and connect.  I don't have
many choices in one place for open connects, but still, it
was very useful to experiment - and see all the creative
wifi names people come up with.  With Dolphin I can download
any file.   So I D/L, and then transfer the files maybe a minute later.

but

When I have the tether installed, the Droidx announces it has
a data connection.   Then, if I enable wifi  and connect,
it basically takes control of the SD card (I assume Dolphin does ?)
and will isolate the SD card from the tether.   So then I can no longer
access Droidx SDcard  from either droidx Or the USB tether.
Hence no routing even if tethering AND wifi are ON.
So possibly the software is just broken ?

But, here's an interesting thought:    IF the phone had a carrier,
I assume it could route the data from the phone co. to the tether
or thru the wifi to other devices..

I don't know, not having ever used a "real" smartphone data connection.
But if it could, then linux ( or the java wrapper ) Does have networking
installed !!!  The drivers have to be there.   So maybe ( underneath,
if I was so inclined, which I'm not ), the routing software could have a
route added ? via app or it access to OS, a "route" command.

Sounds simple at one level.

I'll try to get a pci wifi card for the Win7. Haveing a 2nd box will help
me validate things I try...   The self validation seems to work
when I was trying out the tethering/ wifi inn various forms.

Walt.......
----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )