[Novalug] tethering and mobil hotspot

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 13:33:33 EDT 2016

droidx and centOS6
problem description followed by lots of details.

hi all,
regarding mny droidx and iphone 4 exploration:

The problem is I cannot use Droidx/iphone4 as mobile
hotspot with CentOS6.c/Windows 7 to browse web.
Phones are wifi, no cell activation.
( clarity repeated below )

I'm having trouble with tethering and mobile hotspot.
Some language and misunderstandings ( non-clarity ) of intent
seem to permeate most of the blogs as usual.  I've spent a
considerable time over severl days browsing for info on all
of the above but gets lots of pages with   "how simple" it is.

I've taken a lot of time over the last 2 weeks - in bits and parts.
I've reached a point where I * think * I can describe the problem.

To clarify the problem description:
I want to use "Phone" to connect to a external wifi as the internet source.
Meaning, the phone is not using a cell system.
The phone is tethered with the usb cable to a PC.
POV change: I want to web browse with the PC thru the tethered cable
to the phone, with the phone connected "some" wifi..

In present situ,  a local Xfinity WIFI  provides a xinity page
login is displayed over the WIFI in the phoneand it's  browser, proving the
connection is made and the phone web browser is getting the page.

The CentOS started out as 6.2.  Using the gnome desktop. I've done a number
of partial upgrades, so some media stuff doesn't work, with an occasional
network/kernel error, however it works perfectly on kppp, and ethernet seems to
be OK, although I don't use it (I've connected stuff briefly ion past).

1st, try CentOS with droidx:
Droidx is version 2.3.4  (? ) so it's a bit old.  I have D/L a dolphin browser
and am  NOW able to D/L any file.  Dolphin was added using google play.
( this is one solution from a previous use reply on novalug ).

Detail settings below-- if you DO NOT wish to
read thru the detail settings, PLEASE just ask a Q
or provide a hint.

I'll accept advice on windows 7 settings as I believe the
settings may be a bit simpler....Sorry, justa guess on my part.  The iphone 4 setting have no hotspot etc.
I'd guess I have to D/L an  app from the Fruity Company.
( play on words )  Make a suggestion.

thx,
Walt.........

------------
First DROIDX and later, CentOS.

------------
DROIDX:

settings ->
wireless and networks->
wifi->
ON

settings ->
wireless and networks->
wifi settings->
wifi ON  connected to xinitywifi

settings ->
wireless and networks->
Open Network->  ON
( Secure Network OFF )

settings->
Tethering and mobile Hotspot->
USB tethering-> ON      ( be SURe the usb cable is connected ! )
Mobile wifi Hotspot-> ON

( if the usb cable is not connected, several wifi settings will
magically turn themselves off on any screen switch )

Mobile wifi hotspot settings->
Mobile wifi hotspot-> ON  ( seems redundant but thats the way it is )
Configure wifi hotspot->
   SSID Verizon Droidx 2933
    Broadcast SSID-> ON
   Security-> OPEN
   Broadcast channel -> 6
   Client (DHCP) start address-> 192.168.42.2

Tethering and Mobile Hotspot->
Mobile WIFI Hotspot settings-> Manage Devices-> Manage Allowed Devices->
Add Allowed Device-> Enter MAC address->
blank
Add allowed Device-> Enter device name ( optional )->
blank

Somewhere along the way, in the last 2 days, I think the Droidx or
the iphone supplied me with the SSID. The DHCP is Possibly something
I did with a "route" command in CentOS PC trying to ping or traceroute to
the droidx as troubleshooting. Never got beyond one hop.

-------------------------------------

CentOS 6.2:

NETWORK ICON on desktop menu bar  ( R-click )
Enable Networking ON
Wireless Networks off ( CentOS has PCI wifi card - not using in this scenario )
Edit connections-> Network Connections ->
   wired->  Auto USB -> Edit
--
/* section settings  Editing auto USB  */

Connection name-> auto usb
  Connect automatically
   available to all users
Wired tab-> This has MAC address
             Cloned MAC address-> blank
              MTU automatic
use 802.1x tab->
           Use 802.2x security-> NOT checked
greyd out: authentication TLS, WPA proto grey
and the rest of the tab
IPV4 settings tab->
     Automatic DHCP
     Require IP4
     Rest of tab is blank

I note that a ppp dialup will interfere in some way with
networking. I tried several times with dialup off
and on.

DONE ***

Walt . . . . . .

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )