[Novalug] External drive

Howard L how0909@freeshell.org
Tue Nov 29 20:46:36 EST 2016

Thanks for the feedback about the docks you have used.
What I ended up getting is an "Inateck UA2001 USB 3.0 IDE + SATA
Converter" at Amazon for $29 + $8 SH because it looked fine and I got
tired of looking... It's one of those simple "lay everything on the
desk" multi plug jobs. It comes with 3 wires:

- an AC power adapter
- a USB cord to computer
- and a short power wire from device to IDE power plug.
It has a power switch to turn all on/off.

I'm using F19 and LXDE.
I started with the IDE drive, all plugs in place and turned on power.
The removable drive dialog opened and asked if I wanted to use the file
manager. So I can use that or a terminal with no problems.
And just like flash drives it shows up in  /run/media/user/xxxxxx.
So after doing some housecleaning on that drive I hot plugged a big SATA
drive in and it cranked up and another 2 dialogs opened, one for each
partition on the drive.
I could plug another 2 1/2" SATA drive into it too if I wanted.
I copied 1.9g from the IDE to my laptop in about 2 minutes.
I guess I'm happy with it. Hard part is deciding what's worth saving and
how to organize it.... oh boy
Just thought I'd reply with some final info.
Howard();