[Novalug] Aaarrrghghgh! : ifconfig (was networking...)

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Fri Nov 25 19:58:15 EST 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 07:15:38PM -0500, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
> On 11/25/2016 06:34 PM, Jon LaBadie via Novalug wrote:
> >
> >> I hope that clears things up?
> >>
> > Raises a different question, on your first system why is
> > device eth0 both "static" and "dynamic"?  It shows up in
> > both lists.
> >
> > Bad documentation to not even mention "dynamic" or "permanent"
> > on the man pages.
>
> So note, that I usually reference my posts with man pages, official
> documentation etc. before posting. Mostly because I want to be sure it's
> not "Red Hat" distro specific so I can note it, but also to get the
> actual syntax right (which of course I missed in this case). But it's
> from the man pages I saw these options (Fedora 24/RHEL7)
>
> "man ip-address":
>
>    ip address show - look at protocol addresses
>        dev IFNAME (default)
>               name of device.
>
>        scope SCOPE_VAL
>               only list addresses with this scope.
>
>        to PREFIX
>               only list addresses matching this prefix.
>
>        label PATTERN
>               only list addresses with labels matching the PATTERN.
> PATTERN is a usual shell style pattern.
>
>        up     only list running interfaces.
>
> *       dynamic and permanent**
> **              (IPv6 only) only list addresses installed due to
> stateless address configuration or only list permanent (not dynamic)
> addresses.**
> **
> *       tentative

When dynamic/static were not on my man pages I looked online
and saw the mention of dynamic as a valid ?scope?.  But they
don't exist on the pages of either of mine.

After reading this most recent posting I checked what other
"iproute" packages might exist and found an "iproute-doc".
Ah-Ha said I, newer man pages may come in with the doc pkg.
But no, I installed it and it did not change the man page.

So I don't know how the source of your man page differs
from mine, but the page supplied with the package iproute,
on both FC24 and COS 7.2 does not mention dynamic or permanent.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)