[Novalug] And Topics, of course !

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 14:41:25 EST 2016

hi,

I am hesitant to suggest topics as I can't
get down there to meetings...Never attended one.
Just a  fact, not a brag !  So -- sticking my
cold wet nose out -------->  Been on the maillist awhile
though ...

I'd like to make  2 comments,  one a
topic,  and format based on previous postings,
discussions online, other clubs I have attended
etc etc etc . I realize the following may be painful
if read by some as a 10^23 rehash.  So skip it.

topic:
I'd like to suggest a network fundamentals topic
more like a course than a single nite. Or other
fundamentals, or other intro-like topics more example
oriented...

Based on
what I've read here, I doubt there would require
extensive prep work or any at all...
the difference in either case
would be examples, say route  and tables , and
table line connections.  I have found ONE site with
a reasonable explanation based on one somewhat complete
example.  Problem:  it's only one example.
Of course, I'm suggesting based on what I'm doing now
( kinda self-serving in one way but I still can't come to
the meeting. ).  So my suggestion is primarily one
with static routing and multiple examples as first
or first in series.  Heck, it could be "How do server
conf files work", or "How do the desktop Managers and
X work together ?"  OR "How does X work with the
operating system"... etc etc etc...  or  "How does
X work" ??  or "How does the ext4 filesystem work
with the user and the kernel "?  or under /proc ?

format:
1. I think the added 15 minutes as a formal start time
is a good idea, for meet and greet etc --  with an
"organizer" walking around yelling "We start in 15
minutes"  or announcing entries such as " here is our
maillist guy" or "security" guy or even "pizza is
coming soon"  etc etc....  or even just "welcome all".
Can be anyone with loud voice and doesn't need to
overdo it.... maybe 3 yells in 15 minutes...

OK, OK I know it sounds hokey - but if there's a
volunteer  where this is their only job  !!!----
Any inhibited geek oculd be drafted at the opening
hour.  Please don't curse at me for this ...

2. Dedicate first 20 - 30 minutes for entry level
or low tech level theory with examples.  Again, we
probably don't need slides or pretty pix or extensive
computer setup  -- this would help volunteer presenters
who are knowledgable and don't have the time.
And who can wing it anyway.   I like knowable persons
who can wing it pretty well...

3. Dedicate the next 30-45 minutes to the higher level
or very specific topic no matter what it is, in any
form.  Not too long, not too short.

4. I also believe in some person who should be master
at arms:  only duty is to keep things on a tight
schedule for the benefit of all.. once people get used
to it.  "we are now starting"  "Time is up, thank you "

5. No break between first presentation and start of
second if no setup.  Sounds odd, right ?  If setup is
needed, make it FAST - no more than maybe 3 minutes...
And restart On Time. Handoff to next Quick.

OK, I know this has been tried before, presenters hard to
get, plan ahead is difficult... But I thought worthy
of, and not too much energy spent for a re-typeup.