[Novalug] rarp command

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 09:46:12 EST 2016

Hi,
am doing some reading and lots of
cli trial-error.

Spent some time finally discovering that
CentOS doesn't have "rarp" as it's obsolete.
Replacement is supposedly dhcp and bootp

I have found there are dhcp "clients" and "servers"
( as well as probably library calls for programmers )
But I don't know if  it's exclusively prog calls or
if there's a user command to do things.

confusing contrast:
rarp seems to me to be a static way of retrieving
information - or possibly informing some task
of information. ( including live user ), and dhcp
name says dynamic.

I'm skipping bootp as it seems specific to booting.
but DHCP seems to be -as the name implies --
dynamic.

What specific command would I use to get  rarp info ?
( but not arp )

What package(s) include dhcp clients + servers ?
bin name ?

Now, before someone yells and asks - why are you doing this ?
I have a camera made in 1998, on ethernet.  The setup includes
doing an "arp" in a desktop to set ithe cameras ip.

I've spent a lot of time on google seeing hundreds of sites with
rarp, and a search on novalug and rarp as keywords didn't
yield any discussion.

thx,

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )