[Novalug] SMTP service providers

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sat Nov 19 20:48:36 EST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 05:39:47PM -0500, Roger W. Broseus via Novalug wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Take a look at headers for this email to see if it does what you want. Note
> that I have my "Reply-to:" address set to RogerB@bronord.com but I'm using
> Google's SMTP server.
>
> You might want to check-out using Google's SMTP service as an alternative
> solution. You'll need a Gmail account to authenticate with them.
>
>    https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=setup+google+smtp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Google was my first thought.  When I set it up, I found they
changed the From: and Reply-To: headers to my gmail address.

You alsent a copy of your post directly to me.  That did NOT
come from RogerB, but from "linux.rog".  They changed your
header too.

> I have the same problem: all of a sudden, while in Malta, sending failed for
> the same reason: bad return address. I also had failures to find Verizon's
> SMTP servers, leading me believe that they are twiddling with security -
> thru obscurity. I had the same problem w/ Verizon, using DSL, years ago and
> broke my contract because the change was a unilateral and substantial change
> to service. Went with Comcast for awhile. When signing up for FIOS, I
> verified that I could us my own return address before coming back to
> Verizon.
>
> If Verizon doesn't fix this problem, I'll use the SMTP server provided by
> bluehost, my web hosting service.
>
> Do you run a server? Could YOU setup an SMTP server to get around this?

Used to, but Verizon blocks port 25 outbound to foil that.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)