[Novalug] Mint, CentOS, and Fedora

Bryan Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Wed Mar 30 01:00:56 EDT 2016

Bryan Smith wrote:
> ODMs/OEMs have been "hiding" things for years.
> That didn't come about with uEFI.

Who here has jammed the keyboard keys at POST to get a boot prompt
over the years?

Or unplugged a keyboard ... or even unplug the storage device to get
the POST to "error out" so you'd get a freak'n prompt or key
combination the OEM hid?

This has _not_ changed with uEFI.  It's been the problem with PC OEMs
for years who said, "Oh, we don't want users being able to hit 'Del'
or 'F2' or whatever."  They lock it out, remove the prompt, etc...
_until_ there is an error.

Like Windows self-toasting so the disk won't boot.  Or the drive just
failing.  Guess how you can "emulate" that?  (yes, unplug that disk)

Same solution works today, for uEFI, as has worked for decades with
PCs.  Nothing has changed.  And has _nothing_ to do with uEFI.

Stuart -- I have _no_ idea what you think uEFI is.  But please ...
don't come.  You've wasted about 6-7 hours of my time between on-list
and off-list.  It's clear, you don't like uEFI because of something
that has nothing to do with uEFI.

But your OEM.

--
Bryan J Smith  -  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith