[Novalug] EFF to Security Researchers: Tell the W3C To Protect Researchers Who Investigate Browsers

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Tue Mar 29 17:40:32 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 08:42:16AM -0400, Kevin Cole via Novalug wrote:
> The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking comments from security
> researchers supporting the EFF's proposed "covenant" -- a binding promise
> that W3C members would have to sign as a condition of continuing the DRM
> work at the W3C, and once they do, they not be able to use the DMCA or laws
> like it to threaten security researchers.

DRM is malware, and the W3C made a serious strategic mistake by
allowing it in the door...which is why we now find ourselves in a
situation where steps like this are necessary.  The correct response
from the W3C to the content cartels that wanted DRM was GFY, but that's
not the one they gave.  Now the camel's nose is in the tent, and it won't
be long until the rest of it follows.

---rsk