[Novalug] S.M.A.R.T reports

Stuart Gathman stuart@gathman.org
Mon Mar 28 19:53:28 EDT 2016

The smartctl long scan stops at the first unreadable sector.  Using "dd"
is actually *not* a reliable way to make the drive reassign the sector.
You need hdparm.  First use --read-sector <LBA> to verify that you have
the correct LBA (it should give an error after a few seek retries).
Then use --write-sector <LBA> to do a low level write.  (It will make
you add an "I know what I'm doing" option.)  Use command line edit to
reuse the LBA you just verified.

If you want to know what file got clobbered by the bad sector, use
https://github.com/sdgathman/lbatofile - you probably won't need to
restore everything from backup.  If a system file, just dnf reinstall
the package.  If a user file, delete or restore just that file from
backup.  If inode table, you might need fsck (and a bunch of files will
be lost).  If the bad sectors hit something critical, you may need to
restore from backup, but it is surprisingly rare.