[Novalug] Is there a browser...

Howard L how0909@freeshell.org
Sun Jun 26 23:32:47 EDT 2016

On 06/23/2016 04:32 PM, Ed James via Novalug wrote:
> My take is that there's a need for "those who make the standards" to implement a
> browser request to the*server*  to*not*  send certain stuff, like audio,
> thus reducing bandwidth drain.
Yes!
Actually what needs to happen is the browser insert a "Play" button in
the tag space and NOT request the source file until the button is
clicked. It could be toggled via options or preferences or whatever. Not
a big deal.

Firefox used to have built-in  Edit > Preferences options to toggle
images and javascript which prevented either source from being downloaded.
Now I have to install plugins to to this.
This makes a big difference on page load time.
If I find that needed content is not showing or operating I enable
images or js, reload and get a cup of coffee or something.
No idea why they dumped the built-ins.
I bet advertisers and broadband suppliers treated developers to lunch.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread. I thought my comment was related
because I believe it makes more sense to not download something unless
you need it instead of downloading it and maybe playing it.

howard();