[Novalug] Curious - any Scottish heritage folks in Novalug?

Phil Shapiro pshapiro@his.com
Tue Jun 21 15:48:32 EDT 2016

I'm reading a fascinating book titled The Geography of Genius -- and the chapter about the historically inventive spirit in Edinburgh screams
"open source thinking" in every paragraph.

The Scots love hacking everything. This is actually true in many cultures, but it's very vividly represented in Scotland. And there has
got to be an explanation for why the hacking mindset flourished so strongly in Scotland. The author, Eric Weiner, explains it in part as
"practical genius." As it happens, Eric Weiner lives here in the DC-area, so we could potentially invite him to Nova Labs at some time.
(We'd have to guarantee him a sufficiently large audience -- maybe partner with the Fairfax Libraries.)

I'll be making a video review of this book in the next week or two. I'll share the link here on the list. You can also subscribe to my
YouTube channel, if you're so inclined.

phil

Phil Shapiro, pshapiro@his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html