[Novalug] All-in-Ones (was Re: PC Recommendation)

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Fri Jun 17 01:30:28 EDT 2016

> On Jun 16, 2016, at 5:41 PM, Bryan Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> John Franklin wrote:
>> Cleaner lines
>
> Oh, no doubt.  It's color matched and everything too.

Usually.  Makes you wonder if they hire geeks AND artists. :)

>> USB ports and optical drive on the edge of the screen
>> (not centered behind it or as an external box),
>
> Er, yes and no.  Most of the time, the Tier-1 PC OEMs are just using
> the USB hub in the LCD.  So you can usually have the same, as long as
> your LCD has an USB hub.

By definition, yes, they are.  The PC OEMs will put a USB hub in the case along with whatever panel they choose.  You would know better, but I’m pretty sure the panel itself doesn’t have a USB hub in it.  Even if the whole monitor includes a camera and a touch screen, I would still expect them to put a separate USB chip on the same circuit board next to the monitor driver, but maybe some of the monitor driver chips have USB hubs built-in.

Maybe I’m wrong.  I’m told the original Raspberry Pi is a built around a graphics chip with an ARM core bolted on because they had enough extra transistors.  I’d believe the monitor drivers have enough transistors to wedge in a USB hub.

> And there's little reason for an built-in optical drive these days.
> USB 2.0 DVD-RAM/-+R/RW are $20 (even $10 after MIR), and can be moved
> around for easier access.

The only reasons are to have an optical without taking up any more desk space and always know exactly where it is.  Absolutely, for any built-in unit, there are cheaper and better units out there, if not today then wait six months.  Better isn’t the goal.  Out of the way yet accessible is.

>> single power cable, no video cable at all,
>
> But that's really the only thing, the added AC/DC brick and video cabpe.
>
> But when your LCD costs $100 and your PC some $200 or maybe $300-400
> for more power, that's a lot cheaper than an all-in-one.  And you can
> usually buy a heck of a lot more power too.

I’ve seen some decent all-in-one units for under $500.  Microcenter has a couple in that range with IPS FHD touchscreens and reasonably fast processors.  I’m sure self-assembled ones can be faster or cheaper, especially since the all-in-ones tend to use laptop CPUs with lower TDPs.  Part of the cost of the all-in-ones is the smaller size and clean design, part is the ability to call a company that (should) have decent tech support.

Case in point, I like my Zotac.  I’m never calling their support number.

> In fact, some of these "all-in-ones" from Dell, HP and Lenovo -- they
> are just using their monitor with a color-matched Mini-PC on the back.
> They hide the cables and vampire power tap in another cover on the
> back too.

I haven’t seen any that are monitor model XYZ with a second case grafted on the back.  Usually, I see all-in-ones that are just the panel from monitor model XYZ put in a different case with space for the mini and whatever other stuff they decide to pack in.

I see kiosks and point-of-sale systems built as a monitor with a machine grafted on the back, but not retail all-in-ones.

>> no balance issues
>
> Have you held up one of these light 5x5x2.5" or 5x8x1" units?  They
> don't weigh jack at all.  Basically a plastic frame.

Yes, I have a nice little Zotac as an Asterisk server, but it’s not the weight of the computer.  It’s the 2.5” the (much heavier) screen is offset from the intended center of gravity.  You could make a computer case out of balsa wood, the 2.5” of lever makes the whole thing unbalanced.

>> because a mini computer is wedged
>> between the screen and the stand, which uses the
>> VESA mount to hold up the monitor.
>
> Er, um, what?  Many LCDs these days don't use their VESA mount for the
> stand.  So the mount is there to use just for the Mini-PC.  Most of
> them are designed to balance the Mini-PC, which ways a lot less than
> the panel.

Then you’re buying a monitor or stand built for a Mini-PC.  Most of the monitors I see, if they don’t have a completely custom stand, they have some kind of a VESA mount and come with a single-bracket stand, but can be put on a multi-bracket stand or a wall mount.  The VESA mount is primarily for the stand.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org