[Novalug] recommendations for laptop

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Mon Jan 25 15:26:28 EST 2016

Stephan Greene via Novalug wrote:
> ... I'd go the used/refurbished route, stay with
> the business-class systems from Dell, Lenovo, HP ...
> The business class systems are better made, and replacement
> batteries and chargers (the other 1st things to fail) are
> readily available.

There are 3 main advantages/details to this route ...

1)  They come off 3-year business leases, so right now the 2012-2013
products are the best price/value.

E.g., I mentioned, the 2011-era SandyBridge units used to be the "best
buy" (2014-2015), but basically you won't find their stock any more.
It won't be until 2018 the 2015-era Skylake (the next "major
capability switch) starts coming off lease.

2)  They have lots, and some are barely used

Unlike notebooks used by consumers, a lot of business leases are not
very well used.  Some are even like new.  Plus there are a lot of
them, unlike other refurbished models.

E.g., my current m4600 looked basically unused when I got it,"Grade
A+".  The other one was "A" and I've had a "B" grade that wasn't bad
either.

3)  Docking stations

The great thing about business notebooks are the docking stations.
They are available and usually cheap.  The cheaper ones might not have
the all the features of higher-end units, but they are out there.

E.g., I have no less than three (3) docking stations (PRC02/PR02X) for
my Dell Precision notebook, although the old/cheap docking station
lacks USB 3.0 (but there are 2 ports on my notebook).

-- bjs