[Novalug] powering computers

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith@ieee.org
Fri Jan 22 13:39:11 EST 2016

pereira <ninorpereira@gmail.com> wrote:
> true, although the capacitors you refer to are really YUGE,

Huh?  They fit in a PCCard/CardBus and on a PCI-X card.

> perhaps even 5 F and at low voltage, maybe 3 V. Still, it has 20 J:
> (an AA battery has more than 10 kJ).

You understand the difference between SRAM and DRAM, correct?

There are many cases where capacitors are used.  Again, I fully
prefaced that I was "nitpicking," but the fact of the matter is ...
capacitors _are_ used as a power source.

Especially for SRAM and even CMOS logic.  Heck, with more and more
units going clockless, we're talking even microcontrollers in
low-power states that can run for several seconds, possibly even a
minute, on a capacitor. ;)

-- bjs

--
Bryan J Smith - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith