[Novalug] Homelab environment control (BRAINSTORM)

Charles Richard Head charlesrhead65@gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:28:40 EST 2016

On 2/27/2016 1:35 PM, Jon LaBadie via Novalug wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 03:44:06AM -0500, Dan Lavu via Novalug wrote:
>> Long story short, I'm looking for a way to vent hot air generated from my
>> homelab, so my "server room", which in reality is my laundry room doesn't
>> overheat. I sadly made a huge miscalculation on the power requirements on 4
>> HP DL580 G7s with 256GB of RAM and 64 cores... my calculations were for one
>> processor but each server has 4. So what I thought was going to be 4amps of
>> power per host turned out to be closer to 8 amps. The power is split between
>> two circuits, one 110v 20amp and another 110v 30amp.
>>
>> The room is small, 5x5 feet, a window, and the rest of the space contains
>> the local HVAC, washer and dryer... it is a tight fit. I have contemplated
>> tapping into the return central air on the HVAC unit but I feel safer if I
>> don't do any modifications to something I do not fully understand or know
>> how to do the proper air flow calculations to ensure that the rest of the
>> house will be able cooled as well. Now the other option is to vent the hot
>> air out the window, sadly it's a window that can only open from the bottom,
>> I am leaning towards building a duct system out of wood and attaching a
>> blower to the window and blow the hot air out.
> If you can enclose the computers, make a 2-way vent. supply from and vent
> to the exterior.

Attempting to build on Jon's suggestion, why not remove one upper pane
from the window into the laundry/server room and either exhaust out the
opening or draw fresh air in through it.