[Novalug] Homelab environment control (BRAINSTORM)

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Sat Feb 27 13:35:45 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 03:44:06AM -0500, Dan Lavu via Novalug wrote:
> Long story short, I'm looking for a way to vent hot air generated from my
> homelab, so my "server room", which in reality is my laundry room doesn't
> overheat. I sadly made a huge miscalculation on the power requirements on 4
> HP DL580 G7s with 256GB of RAM and 64 cores... my calculations were for one
> processor but each server has 4. So what I thought was going to be 4amps of
> power per host turned out to be closer to 8 amps. The power is split between
> two circuits, one 110v 20amp and another 110v 30amp.
>
> The room is small, 5x5 feet, a window, and the rest of the space contains
> the local HVAC, washer and dryer... it is a tight fit. I have contemplated
> tapping into the return central air on the HVAC unit but I feel safer if I
> don't do any modifications to something I do not fully understand or know
> how to do the proper air flow calculations to ensure that the rest of the
> house will be able cooled as well. Now the other option is to vent the hot
> air out the window, sadly it's a window that can only open from the bottom,
> I am leaning towards building a duct system out of wood and attaching a
> blower to the window and blow the hot air out.

If you can enclose the computers, make a 2-way vent. supply from and vent
to the exterior.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)