[Novalug] Process intercommunication

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Fri Dec 30 19:38:15 EST 2016

On 12/30/2016 07:29 PM, James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug wrote:

> I would say that DBUS is Way Bigger than "Interprocess Communication".
> It's more of a Channelized Publish/Subscribe model

I used that term specifically because it's what the DBUS project uses
(https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-faq.html#idm19):

What is D-Bus?

This is probably best answered by reading the D-Bus tutorial or the
introduction to the specification. In short, it is a system consisting
of 1) a wire protocol for exposing a typical object-oriented
language/framework to other applications; and 2) a bus daemon that
allows applications to find and monitor one another. Phrased
differently, D-Bus is 1) an interprocess communication (IPC) system and
2) some higher-level structure (lifecycle tracking, service activation,
security policy) provided by two bus daemons, one systemwide and one
per-user-session.

--
Regards
  Peter Larsen