[Novalug] modemmanager ( how, where ?)

James Ewing Cottrell III jecottrell3@comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 19:05:29 EST 2016

Well, the world Changes. I actually worked for NRTC.COOP, the National
Rural Telecommunications Cooperative, and we had about 300 Rural Telcos
and Electric Companies, whose 200K Customers were a Long Distance Call
away from the nearest AOL Office. So they put in Local Modem Ranks, and
we handled all their Email and Web Traffic on a Cluster of about two
dozen servers. Interesting and Fun Job.

In any case, you'd still have to have Kept any Old Modems, as well, as
kept using all that Old Horrible Software. Like UUCP.

On 12/29/2016 4:16 AM, Ed James via Novalug wrote:
> Hardly.  After my DSL had an outage, but POTS was still working, ah done
> got me a freebie dial-up account via my local library as a back-up system.

And who has POTS anymore? With POTS comes Long Distance Charges. And
everyone has Cell Phones anyway as a Backup.

> I also know folks who *rarely* use a computer for whom dial-up makes good
> financial sense.

As for the Finance, dialup makes almost NO sense. About the minimum you
can find a connection for is $20/month, and you get maybe 50kb speed.

A Cable Connection starts at about twice that, but you get at least T1
speed, 1.5Mb. That's 30 times the price for twice the price, or a factor
of 15 better.

Of course, you may not have Cable, and the Satellite Internet is
Expensive in it's own Way, as is the kind of Data Rates that Phones use.
But for those Light Users you mention, they wouldn't notice.

> I also know folks who are "too far out" or live in too sparse an area for
> the normal high-speed internet options.

Yeah, but They're from Flyover. What do they know? They voted for Trump!

> I also know of suites of test/monitor equipment that periodically phone
> home and do a data dump for a few minutes once a day.

When I left NRTC 10 years ago, many customers were converting to
Satellite (think HughesNet) Internet. And the Gas and Electric meters
were converting to Rural WiFi.

Calling Wirelessly is More Reliable than Calling Wired.