[Novalug] modemmanager ( how, where ?)

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Tue Dec 27 00:20:48 EST 2016

In this case, I don't understand the questions.
Answering as best as I know,  I use kppp to dial up
my Internet connection.

I use NetworkManager for a use with a wireless card
( broadcomm, functioning almost none ), and also to
use eth0 interface to experiment with simple localnet
connected to various wireless router/switch boxes.

In another case, a smartphone was a modem/router to
connect to an outside wifi AP, and then routed thru the
USB tethering to the linux box.

The applet which prior to the update showed my ppp connection
was a blinking dual terminal which disappeared from the
panel after update  The well-known "modemlights" ( gnome) is
a icon I used years ago with fedora and is in shape a
square with small digital number display for data
transfers, and/or moving chart.  It was almost identical
to the dual terminal Network Manager icon I have.
( the kppp icon is different: and will  start the
window for dialing/config, but will not show any disconnect
menu/option.  Hence I'm forced to turn the physical modem
off, clear out the 5-6 processes and start over.

Larsen suggested installing ModemManager, which I
already had  -- didn't know it, or about it.

And --->   produces no information, and no window.
( no man page )

[root@CentOS68 waltech]# modem-manager -h
Usage:
  modem-manager [OPTION...]

DBus system service to communicate with modems.

Help Options:
  -h, --help       Show help options

Application Options:
  --debug          Output to console rather than syslog

thx,