[Novalug] FYI: kppp doesn't clean up

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 18:56:58 EST 2016

Just a note:

kppp ( and neither did the gnome version a
few years ago ) clean up after itself when either
started or closed.

After kppp been run more than once,
you end up with:

-------------------

[root@CentOS68 waltech]# ps ax | grep ppp
 3408 ?        Sl     0:00 kppp
 3410 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/userhelper -w kppp
 3547 ?        R      1:45 kppp
 3554 ?        Ss     0:00 kppp
 4826 ?        Sl     0:00 kppp
 4830 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/userhelper -w kppp
 4856 ?        R      0:41 kppp
 4857 ?        Ss     0:00 kppp
 5488 ?        Sl     0:00 kppp
 5490 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/userhelper -w kppp
 5526 ?        S      0:00 kppp
 5531 ?        Ss     0:00 kppp
 5855 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep ppp
 8144 ?        Sl     0:00 kppp
 8146 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/userhelper -w kppp
 8153 ?        S      4:28 kppp
 8154 ?        Ss     0:00 kppp
 8161 ?        Ss     0:00 pppd 460800 -detach crtscts defaultroute usepeerdns mru 552 persist lcp-echo-interval 5 ipcp-restart 10 modem user

---------------------

the kppp will stop operating and  the user
has to go to a terminal to kill off the old
processes.  It's good to check to see if old
processes are running when re-starting.
And then kill them off.  Especially if a message comes
up asking the user "to continue? ".

If ppp is intended to be multiple user or multiple modem,
then another piece of checking or config is necessary.

I tried killing off the tree top, but stuff still ended up
above ..... on a ps list.   PS: the mru 552 works better
than the default 1500.  And the baud rate shown here is
a peculiarity of the particular dual serial port pci card...
( I had to experiment to find something that works...
it's still about 45 k ).

 It has some option for a lock file to ask the
user if it should continue or not.   That may
suggest something. or not.  Not sure what use it is.

( this is an inconvenience for more than a decade. )

It's just that ---- after this yum update, it's working even worse
than before.... and so, heck, I'll just post all the
unpleasantness for documentation purposes...

Just had to spend 1/2 hour trying to get a dial ...
By the way,  to get this out, the modem stopped dialiing
altogether and I had to reboot.....  I coulda logged out
of X -- maybe try it next time.

Oh, and found the "update" also got rid of my clipboard manager...
in the panel ....   arghhhhhhhh !!!!

hell, I don't even remember the NAME anymore !!!

Anyone recommend a decent clipboard manager ?
( which saves all the previous "text copy"  ??  )

thx,

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )