[Novalug] layer 2, 3, 4 utility experiment

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 16:44:23 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'm told the common network tools cross many
boundary layers. The man pages list the commands,
options, parameter, and expectations by some order
which is not divided into OSI layers.

I have realistic expectations that each utility
may have combination layer requests and control
and well as printed mix of layer status data.
i.e. the utils are not unique by request or status
display to say, layer 4

Some of these utils are:
route, ifconfig, ip, netstat, ethertool, arp, ping,
traceroute,  tcpdump, nmap.  Several are obviously
simple in use respect and other can be very complicated.

I have an idea I'd like to try, with List
participation by submittal .

I'd like to see a list of the simpler utils that when used
 with options and parameters, will make a request, or
set parameters of only one layer, say layer 2,
and the return data or status will display information
only from that one layer -- layer 2.

The util request/set could be for only layer 3,
and the data returned/display for only layer 3.

For example, there may be only 2 specific arp  commands
that result as described.   And there may be 3 ping
command/ status that result in same layer use.

As a next case,  I would like to know/see what
may result in only a layer 2 request/set and a layer
3 display of information.  OR vice versa. Or layer 3,4
or 4,3 etc etc...

Lastly, I assume most will cross boundaries with
combo results: the utils asks for info about layer 3 and 4
and may return data about layer 2,3, as example.

The idea is to collect ( or try to collect ) some samples
itemized per above and see if there's enough to
warrant a re-ordering of individual utils, or
group utils for educational purposes.

Assuming I get some responses, I could collect
answer and collate.... if persons would rather not clog
up the list.  However, I think a few examples posted to
start would not be a bad idea.

Thx,

----
 The government is lawless, not the press (people).
 ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )