[Novalug] SMTP service providers - correction

Rich Kulawiec rsk@gsp.org
Thu Dec 15 10:21:31 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 09:13:35AM -0500, Rich Kulawiec via Novalug wrote:
> (Until of course 500M+ of your accounts
> are compromised and then their new owners can send mail using those
> credentials, which you will dutifully mark as legitimate via DKIM.
> Thanks a lot for that, Yahoo.  But I digress.  Again.)

[ Correction based on yesterday's news ]

Make that 500M+ plus 1B+, modulo overlaps:

	Yahoo Says 1 Billion User Accounts Were Hacked
	http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/technology/yahoo-hack.html

It really was worth breaking every mailing list in the world, wasn't it? [1]

	Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's
	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html

---rsk

[1] In case the sarcasm isn't clear, and I know that sometimes in email
it isn't: Yahoo's case for dropping that nonsense on all of us without
so much as a heads-up was that it would ensure that mail putatively
from Yahoo users really was from Yahoo users.  But of course if an
account is hacked, then anything that it emits can no longer be
definitively said to have originated from its former owner.