[Novalug] IRC chat and IP address privacy

Stuart Gathman stuart@gathman.org
Wed Dec 14 21:50:30 EST 2016

On 12/14/2016 07:25 AM, Subba Rao via Novalug wrote:
> Good morning everyone.
> I tend to use IRC to hop on to some Linux or some programming channels for immediate questions.  What I noticed is that when I join, it shows my IP address and location information (almost DNS info).  The IRC client displays "nickname (irc-client@x.x.x.x.washdc.verizon.net) has joined the channel".  This type of information leads to targeted attacks.
>
> There are several users for whom that information is hidden.  How can I protect myself by hiding the IP address and location information?
> Thank you in advance for any information and advice.
Rent a small VPS for $15/yr (e.g. 128M at ramnode.com).  Install ZNC.
Connect to the IRC chats through ZNC.  The IRC servers see the IP of
your VPS.  In addition, ZNC stays logged in to chats, and saves comments
in a buffer, playing them back the next time you connect to ZNC for that
channel.