[Novalug] X not starting in CentOS 6.8 (SOLVED)

James Ewing Cottrell III jecottrell3@comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 21:10:35 EST 2016

Yeah, I know, Old News.

But this is becoming Less True these days. Now you can find /boot on LVM
images, and you have always been able to boot off MDRaid in Mirrored
Configuration.

I'd say this is more dependent on whether you use grub1 or grub2, as
well as whether you use gdisk, which use either an EFI System Partition
mounted on /boot/efi (ok, you win, that mostly counts as a "separate
/boot partition (but you don't need separate /boot/efi AND /boot) or a
BIOS Boot Partition, which doesn't get mounted.

RHEL5 didn't allow booting off ext4; you had to use ext3.
RHEL5 didn't allow booting off xfs; now you can in RHEL7.

JIM