[Novalug] linux laptop reccommendation request

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Wed Dec 14 08:49:39 EST 2016

I had miserable luck with a dual-video systems and 6000-series (SkyLake) Core i7 Dell.  The CPU needed some microcode to be installed, which most installers didn’t do.  Without it, the odds of getting through an install without a full, hard kernel panic were slim and frustrating.  Booting into Windows and then rebooting into the installer was more successful, but not guaranteed.  This was not quite a year after Skylake was introduced.

I never did get the dual video to work right.  I don’t remember the details, but it was something about not being able to load or unload the kernel modules because some API had changed.  I was trying to use the proprietary NVIDIA kernel modules.

I was rather surprised by this because the Dells are usually good systems for Linux.

A laptop with an Intel 5000 series and no extra video would be a safer bet.

jf

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 10:40 PM, James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
>
> Linux is Trivial to install on UEFI. What really matters is how complete and correct the UEFI support is on the hardware.
>
> As of now, it is my intention to avoid the Legacy Boot and Install and use UEFI and GPT everywhere I can.
>
> As for Storage, consider the use of External USB 3.0 disk drives, like the Western Digital Passport. Fits in your shirt pocket. Consider that a 128G Flash Driveis about $60, while a 1TB USB Disk is the same price, and Faster too.
>
> As for the actual Laptops themselves, you can search for Linux Laptops and get Really Good but Pricey models. Dell has some nice models too.
>
> But be aware the tendency of laptops to be Really Thin these days. In fact, every laptop I found at Best Buy was SOOO... skinny that it couldn't support a standard RJ45 Ethernet jack, meaning you will have to carry around an Adaptor, with will probably either Break or Get Lost or be Permanently Borrowed.
>
> The Lenova Yogas that Greg mentioned are a nice idea too. I've never used a Touch Screen on Linux...not sure I need it.
>
> JIM
>
> On 12/10/2016 12:31 PM, Bonnie Dalzell via Novalug wrote:
>>
>> I am looking to add a later model linux capable laptop to my collection.
>> Price is important. Its purpose it to let me do some internet, webmail
>> and some perl programming while traveling and to have some harddrive
>> storage for photos (although I can carry along usb memory sticks). I
>> have yet not tried to put linux on a UEFI machine. How difficult is this?
>>
>> A used machine in decent shape is acceptable.

>>                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
>> mail:PO box 9767 Baldwin, MD, USA 21013  |  EMAIL:bdalzell@qis.net
>> shipping address:5100 Hydes Rd 21082 (Hydes Post Office closed Jan 2012)
>> Freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog
>> breeder, computer nerd & iconoclast... Borzoi info at www.borzois.com.
>> HOME www.batw.net    ART bdalzellart.batw.net  BUSINESS
>> www.boardingatwedge.com

John Franklin