[Novalug] ls -d

William Sutton william@trilug.org
Wed Dec 14 07:58:30 EST 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug wrote:

> Software Never Dies. Neither do Concepts. People STILL quote ":wq" as the way
> to Exit VI, rather than ZZ (or :x) which will Avoid Writing when need be.

I don't know why you would :wq if you just wanted to exit vi, particularly
if you had, say, made a hash of things.

You can also :q! to exit without writing.

matter of fact, the ! makes it imperative, so if you have a file that
doesn't want to let you write (as long as the filesystem is writable and
it doesn't have chattr +i set), you can :w! to force a write.