[Novalug] IRC chat and IP address privacy

Subba Rao castellan2004-novalug@yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 07:25:43 EST 2016

Good morning everyone.
I tend to use IRC to hop on to some Linux or some programming channels for immediate questions.  What I noticed is that when I join, it shows my IP address and location information (almost DNS info).  The IRC client displays "nickname (irc-client@x.x.x.x.washdc.verizon.net) has joined the channel".  This type of information leads to targeted attacks.

There are several users for whom that information is hidden.  How can I protect myself by hiding the IP address and location information?
Thank you in advance for any information and advice.

 Regards,
Subbarao