[Novalug] Ext4 != Ext4. Is XFS == XFS?

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Mon Dec 12 14:25:22 EST 2016

And you continue ... end of thread on my behalf.  Provide specific use
cases, showing error messages - then we can start discussing. The fact
that you seem to have a misconception of what ext4 is (over different
versions) does not lead to the conclusion you're making. Anyway - I've
got better things to do.

On 12/12/2016 12:47 PM, James Ewing Cottrell III wrote:
> Maybe. As I have said, I still use Windows to read my mail (OK...I'll
> make it my New Year's Resolution), so I don't often have Linux available.
>
> I also was mistaken about "doesn't work". It works Just Fine until it
> Breaks. Then it "doesn't work".
>
> Being mistaken about the frequency of breakage led me to believe that
> the problem was mode widely known. I suppose that it's a Credit to the
> Stability of Linux that neither you, nor Jon, not to mention many
> others, have never encountered this issue.
>
> Bottom Line: RHEL M cannot fix ext4 problems created by RHEL N ext4
> filesystems where M < N.
>
> The question still remains whether the above sentence is true after
> s/ext4/xfs/g
>
> I suppose I'll just have to Find Out Myself.
>
> JIM
>
> On 12/10/2016 8:19 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
>> James. As I said no bad intentions. But I was puzzled too. The James I
>> thought I knew would not just state "doesn't work" but provide the
>> specific issue.
>>
>> On Dec 9, 2016 22:29, "James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug"
>> <novalug@firemountain.net <mailto:novalug@firemountain.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Seriously? You are Actually going to ask me THAT Question?!?
>>
>>     How Insulting.
>>
>>     It's like you don't even know who I am at all.
>>
>>     JIM
>>
>>     On 12/9/2016 1:24 PM, Peter Larsen via Novalug wrote:
>>
>>         Also, and this may sound a bit like an off the cuff remark, but
>>         I have
>>         to ask: Are you sure your RHEL7 is using ext4? The default is
>> xfs.

Regards
  Peter Larsen