[Novalug] Suggestions for web interface?

Ed James edward.james@gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 10:16:58 EST 2016

Howard,

My Java skills are a bit rusty, and for all I know, out-of-date.  That
said, there is another similar group - NoVaJUG@yahoogroups.com that is more
suitable for Java questions.  However, we do have many Java experts here,
who prolly would be happy to help.

I suspect you want to build a Java "applet" that can connect back to some
mothership and exchange data.  I've done that long ago, but I'm way rusty.
Check the link

      http://greenbelt.com/edjames/

to a way outdated page of mine, go down a little, and look for the "Sample
Java Programs" section.  I wrote some of them to function as both an
Application and an Applet, depending on how it's launched.  I don't have
Java installed on this machine that lets me run those applets, but they all
used to work.  I have pages that show the working applet, some notes, and
the source code.

Note - I used to use an appletViewer program to run an applet, which made
dev and testing a bit faster sometimes, rather than building an HTML file,
sticking it on a webserver, and pulling it into a browser.

Note - there may be "security issues" that get in the way when you run an
Applet in a browser that's trying to connect to another machine "somewhere
else".  Not insurmountable, just annoying.  Been a while since I did that.

Hoping that helps get you started.

Ed James