[Novalug] Hosting email

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Sat Dec 17 16:57:49 EST 2016

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 16:19:37 -0500
Rich Kulawiec via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 10:59:50AM -0500, Dan Arico via Novalug wrote:
> > That begs a question. How do you prevent messages from a legitimate
> > email list from being trapped?
>
> Good question.
>
> That's part of a general problem with mailing lists.  The path that
> such a message takes to you is something like this:
>
> 	- spam origination point
> 	- MTA on inbound MX for mailing list host
> 	- mailing list management (MLM) software, e.g., Mailman,
> majordomo
> 	- MTA outbound from mailing list host
> 	- MTA inbound on your mail service
> 	- You

We may be talking past each other.

I'm maintaining a list for a local civic group using mailman. The
problem I'm running into is some people can't subscribe to the list
because the confirming email never gets to them. In most cases, I never
get a clue as to why. In a couple of cases I've gotten a bounce noting
that it was being rejected as spam.

Dan

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.