[Novalug] Ext4 != Ext4. Is XFS == XFS?

James Ewing Cottrell III jecottrell3@comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 00:32:29 EST 2016

BINGO! It is indeed one of the Features, which can be manipulated by -O
and -O^ of tune2fs. Specifically, it is the 64bit option:

# e2fsck -f /dev/sda7
sda7 has unsupported feature(s): 64bit

Presumably, I could turn the option off, then fsck it.

Let me state the problem another way. It has been said that there are
actually 4096 versions of COBOL because there are 12 Optional Features.
Likewise, with N different Features, there are 2**N different ext4
filesystems.

One might be tempted to name some of them ext4.rhel5, ext4.rhel6, and
ext.rhel7 based on the Default Feature Set, but that's not Quite Right
either, because options may be Turned On and Off at Will, or at least to
the degree that code supports it.

So how many Options/Features does XFS have? Do RHEL{4,5,6,7} use
different ones?

So far, I have been using ext4 because that's what I've always done. But
maybe it's time to Explore a bit. IIRC, isn't it possible to enlarge an
XFS but not shrink it?

JIM