[Novalug] Ext4 != Ext4. Is XFS == XFS?

James Ewing Cottrell III jecottrell3@comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 00:19:40 EST 2016

Jon,

Thanks for your Observation. I just installed CentOS 7.2 all in one
partition (well, two if you count /boot/efi), booted up a CentOS 6.6 CD,
went over to the ALT-F2 shell window, and was indeed able to mount the
7.2 ext4 filesystem I just created.

However, All is Well only if All is Well. If your box crashes, you will
not be able to fix the RHEL7 FS by using a RHEL6 fsck. It fails with:

# e2fsck -f /dev/sda7
sda7 has unsupported feature(s): 64bit

The reason this is Important is that Traditionally, I have always
created an extra Rescue Linux on my disk. Back in the Grub1 days, the
Rescue Linux boot code was installed in the MBR and do Chainload the
Boot Code from any other Linuxi I installed on other partitions. This,
of course meant actually running grub twice, but unless I messed with
the Rescue Linux, I rarely lost Control.

Obviously, with Grub2, things have changed.

JIM