[Novalug] Ext4 != Ext4. Is XFS == XFS?

Jon LaBadie novalugml@jgcomp.com
Fri Dec 9 15:26:59 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 02:04:27PM -0500, James Ewing Cottrell, III via Novalug wrote:
> OK, so I mean Backwards Compatible. Boot RHEL 7. Mkfs.ext4. Now try an read that with RHEL 6. Now make another ext4 and try and read it with RHEL5. Doesn't work.
>
> In other words ext4 != ext4.
>

>From my limited experience (not RHEL 6/7 but CentOS 6/7)
I'm surprised to hear this.  I was running a system with
6 and upgraded by a fresh install of 7 on a new disk.

While shaking out 7, I retained the ability to boot into
the old 6 system (on a separate disk).  During this 2 wk
period, I had no problems accessing either 6 or 7 file
systems from the other.

Jon
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  novalugml@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd		(703) 787-0688 (H)