[Novalug] Ext4 != Ext4. Is XFS == XFS?

Peter Larsen peter@peterlarsen.org
Fri Dec 9 13:24:26 EST 2016

On 12/09/2016 11:53 AM, James Ewing Cottrell III via Novalug wrote:
> OK, obviously I've go some 'Splainin' to do...
>
> What I mean is, if I create an ext4 fs with RHEL6, I can't read it
> with RHEL6; nor can I read a RHEL6 ext4 fs with RHEL5. The reason is
> that newer systems use newer features, which are unknown to older
> systems.

James, would you like to explain a bit further? I quite often use EXT4
to format USB drives (who needs vfat when everything you have is Linux)
and I've NEVER had a problem moving between releases, Fedora/RHEL etc.
when it comes to the same file system. Do know, that ext4 was TP in RHEL
5, not fully supported until 5.6 but beyond that you should have no
issues moving between RHEL5,6,7 using ext4.

Also, and this may sound a bit like an off the cuff remark, but I have
to ask: Are you sure your RHEL7 is using ext4? The default is xfs.

> In other words, it's not Upward Compatible.

Ehhh, it is - upwards it is. Backwards can be tough if you have very
very VERY large file systems (like 16+ TB).  Or at least it would be
nice to see an example of this.

--
Regards
  Peter Larsen