[Novalug] linux laptop reccommendation request

Beartooth beartooth@Beartooth.Info
Thu Dec 15 11:17:51 EST 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Jameson C. Burt via Novalug wrote:

> Here are some laptop considerations.
>

> SYSTEM76:
> In the next few months, I intend to buy from system76,
>   http://system76.com/laptops
> Their 14" Lemur laptop starts at $699.

> All their computers have hardware that works with Linux, so I'd
> expect little problem with wifi, ethernet, or video when
> installing any Linux distribution. System76 installs on their
> computers either Ubuntu 16.04 (default long term) or 16.10
> (shorter term Ubuntu support).

 	We have two machines from System76, a netbook and a PC
(several years newer than the netbook). The netbook has always
been fine.

 	When I first had the PC up and running, of course it ran
Ubuntu, to which unfortunately I have a deep-seated repulsion. I
had replaced Ubuntu with Fedora on the netbook with no problem.
So I tried with the PC.

 	That turned out to be a very ripe kettle of fish. I don't
recall now whether I had recourse to DBAN, or a Friendly Local
Alpha Plus Nerd (FLAPN) or both, but for us at least it was a
major hassle.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.