[Novalug] android development

greg pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Thu Dec 8 15:25:28 EST 2016

Walt,
Think of an app as a game for a video game system. It is something that is
a black box that you an load onto your device and interact with as the app
describes.

The next level down is there are toolkits where you can 'drag and drop'
stuff to build the framework. You can then dig into the code.

I wrote a WYSIWYG program for writing Xwindows apps by dragging and
dropping. The interface was coded with stubs for the callbacks. There are
similar things for phone app developerment. There are also higher langauges
that can generate what is needed for the device (IOS or Android and maybe
others) also.

Maybe that helps?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM Walt Smith via Novalug <
novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the several replies I received.
>
> I recall some discussion happening on android
> sometime ago on the list.  Didn't know if still
> appropriate.
>
> My intent is not to do development.  I was hoping for
> a little more info so I knew the how apps are part of,
> the droid infrastructure ( ata  high level )  how to
> understand resources, and as I said, to get an overview:
> for example, another site I found again -- mentioned some
> linux commands, but nothing about java or programming.
> (it was a "make your first app" article -- real top
> level ).
>
> I do not intend the thread to be a in-depth thread like
> the networking threads.  For the original post,
> either 3 line answers or links to a recommended
> site would be appreciated. I don't expect answers to run
> on sites further than 2 short paragrpahs if they
> are written correctly for the "Audience"..
>
> (if none appropriate, then there are none !! )
>
> wishful thinking I admit ...
>
> (ps: FYI: I've used command line compilers, gcc, Intel 8085, Z80,
> 68000, 6801, and Visual studio for VB6, some simple VS C#,
> and eclipse for java.  For very simple code )..   except the
> 8 and early 16 bit stuff was for embdedded PCB's  ( now called
> modules I suppose ).   Unfortunately, hardware was very
> separate from software in an organization, so I missed
> the early packet revolution even though one large PCB
> was a I/O peripheral for a packet rack..  but a status/control
> peripheral in hardware in only some magic CPU with
> firmware and RAM, and function could be driving a train  ).
>
> At the time, real OS's like multitaskers passed me by.
> I'm still looking for more" broadband" experience here
> and there when something pokes at me.
>
> Soooo... private answers to my queries still accepted !!!
>

> thx,
>
> Walt.........

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 19:51:57 +0000
> From: greg pryzby <greg@pryzby.org>
> To: Walt Smith <waltechmail@yahoo.com>, novalug
>     <novalug@firemountain.net>
> Subject: Re: [Novalug] android development
>
> Walt and anyone else for Android dev,
>
> If you are not a developer, this is not an easy place to start. We have had
> some talks in the past and eclipse with the right tools makes it possible.
>
> There are environments that abstract the development to make is slightly
> easier, but if you have never built a computer app, this isn't something
> you will learn via a mailing list. There are tutorials, classes, hangouts,
> etc where you can get help and probably write an app.
>
> That said, I would be pretty surprised if there wasn't a app that was close
> to what you wanted to do already out there.
>

> ----
>  The government is lawless, not the press (people).
>  ( [Supreme Court] Justice Douglas re: The Pentagon Papers )

greg pryzby
SOCIAL MEDIA: gpryzby