[Novalug] Hosting email

Jameson C. Burt jameson_novalug@coost.com
Wed Dec 14 20:21:22 EST 2016

I've used Naive Bayes within spamassassin via procmail for 16 years.
Naive Bayes gradually looses its effectiveness, so about once a year I add about 5 spam emails and 5 good emails,
returning to 0 false positives and 0 false negatives.
The problem arises that new types of spam arise, so they need to be trained.

Initially, you might train with 50 spam and 50 good emails (ham), or even more.
I save spam email in one file and good emails in another file,
then run a program for each to train Naive Bayes.
You should type the Naive Bayes steps you choose, then refer to them each year for your update.
While it takes more effort, Naive Bayes is the best of any spam filter, adapting to new spam environments.

I contracted with Department of Transportation to identify defective cars amongst a million internal car manufacturing reports.
There, defects of the "recall" category really were rare.
I needed to train with 30,000 reports, not 100.
I used a variant of Naive Bayes, CRM114.

Some detected reports were hilarious, like one guy who used gas cylinders in a pickup-bed to raise and lower his truck.
Something went amiss -- a light on the cylinders started blinking.
Then the passenger seat caught on fire.
While his truck still moved down the road, he jumped out of his truck.

I just realized, I could give a presentation on Naive Bayes.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 06:15:26PM -0500, John Holland via Novalug wrote:
> I’m using spamassasin, via procmail.
> > On Dec 10, 2016, at 4:52 PM, pereira via Novalug <novalug@firemountain.net> wrote:
> >
> > FWIW, I do exactly the same thing as Roger. I read my gmail with Thunderburd, and any
> > and all other email addresses I might have I copy to gmail. The principal reason to set
> > things up this way was indeed Google's excellent spam filtering.
> >
> > So yes, google may have all my email in the cloud, but (perhaps lamentably) there's nothing
> > exiting there so they are welcome to it.
> >
> > Nino
> >> Rather than making a wholesale change, consider popping the email to a new gmail account and reading it from there. You can got into settings at gmail and set it to pop your email. Of course, you'll be living with Google uber alles.
> >>
> >> I've found that gmail's spam filters are pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com
(202) 690-0380 (work)